Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Magnolia-licious No Patterned Paper Challenge


Hello sweet readers,

Before I go any further, I have a winner from my Magnolia-licious Bling It Up Challenge Post. Sorry about the delay. I have had some computer issues lately. The winner is #2 -

NICOLE


Nicole, please e-mail me with your address so I can send your special gift as a token of my appreciation for leaving a comment on my blog!

I have a very quick post to share today. The current challenge at the Magnolia-licious Challenge Blog is to create a card with NO patterned papers. This WAS a CHALLENGE for me. So, I thought I'd challenge myself and see what I could come up with. I stink! LOL First of all, the challenge wasn't NO patterned papers, but NO DESIGNER PAPERS! Of course, I only read what I wanted to read. **clue #1**

I hunkered down and put my creativity to use. I sat and pondered what I had in my supplies that I could use instead of patterned paper. I considered using embossing folders. That would have been an easy one. I wanted a challenge! I considered painting the background. That would have been too much work. I gave some thought to stitching a quilted design on cardstock and applying that to my card. Another idea with too much work and would have no room for error. Then, the idea came to me! I have velvet paper that wouldn't be patterned paper. I decided to use that! Well, I must have had a "senior moment" because I was so tickled that I could create a card without patterned paper that I didn't think about the actual paper I DID use as being "Designer" papers. **hanging head in shame**

Stop laughing! So, I promptly went to work choosing Autumn colors and the "just right" punch for the pattern. I carefully measured distances so that the strips would NOT be going upwards and downwards. I made sure that the adhesive was not on the velvet. I went into my stash and found the copper leaf stickers as well as the border I used along the bottom. I had NO idea the colors on the strip of trees matched the colors of the velvet strips I had already glued to the card. Mind you, I still have not realized that I was using Designer Paper! I selected the best Tilda for the design - Tilda with Two Rosettes. I carefully painted her and popped her up on pop dots. Then, I had to find the Autumn Wishes stamp from my stamp collection.

I had the card finished and was sharing it with my husband when the 20 watt bulb in my head flickered for just an instant, and I realized I HAD USED DESIGNER PAPERS! Ugh! The deed was done. I blew it! I blamed my faux pas on the fact that I had eaten too many vegetables, and my brain cells were on overload trying to figure out what I had done to my brain by eating food that was actually good for me. *sigh* Here is my card:



So, there you have it - the story behind the card! Oh, the cardstock I used for the base of the card is a lovely cream color but it looks white. The bows in Tilda's hair have been treated with Stickles. Tilda has been elevated on pop dots. The punch I used is by good old Martha.

Thank you so much for stopping by. The photo is a little dark, but if I try to lighten it up, I lose the closeness to the actual colors.

XO,

Chris

10 comments:

Candy said...

Dear Chris,
You have no design on your papers so I think you are fine! Only my opinion of course.
Your card is delightful. The punch you used is just right with your design.
I love the trees on the bottom - perfect autumn colours all round.
You even used a MINI Tilda!!
It is great!!!
Big Hugs, Candy

Anonymous said...

Oh Chris, I love how you blamed the vegetables, you should eat more cake then you won't have a problem LOL. Your card is very sweet and the plain paper fits nicely I think, very sweet
Hugs Julie P

MyAuntKath said...

I think this card is outstanding! Beautiful colors. Love the little tree border. Great concept!

Laura said...

I agree with Julie, eat more cake! LOL! Such a sweet card and so beautifully done!

Laura C.

NPurdum56 said...

Chris this is so cute. Such lovely rich autumn colors. Love those trees at the bottom! :) Nancee

Frances said...

Oh, Chris you made me laugh! Your card is beautiful, love the autumn colors and your design, hugs, Frances

cabio's craft corner said...

Simply awesome and love the idea of your different color cardstocks for the card design. Lovely card :o)
Hugs,
Cabio

Karen said...

Hi Chris,

Personally, I love your card! Very creative and such beautiful fall colors.

Karen

Barbara (Jamie) Gudermuth said...


What a lovely "mistake".

Berina RGA said...

it is such a lovely card.. we all have done something like this at some point of time or other... love the way u have decorated the card using the punches..
-Berina
Moxie Craftie